Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Little Red Truck Farm, Belmont MA

Little Red Truck Farm
Belmont, MA 02478

Ok, so it's official--I now belong to too many CSAs. Just kidding--there's NO WAY that could happen :). However, I have just joined my fifth CSA of the year: honey!

[In case you're wondering, the others are: winter vegetable CSA at Drumlin Farm in Lincoln, summer vegetable CSA at Springdell Farm in Littleton, fish CSA (or CSF) at Cape Ann Fresh Catch in Gloucester, and meat CSA at Chestnut Farms in Hardwick.]

Last week, I came across mention of a CSA fair that was held in Arlington, MA in January. What a great idea that was; too bad I missed it. Little Red Truck Farm in Belmont, which has the honey CSA (community-supported apiary), was there. Since I have long dreamed of keeping bees, and this is the closest I've been able to get--I'll take it. I did actually belong to a beekeeping society when I lived on an island in Maine, but I moved before I really had a chance to do anything with bees. Everyone else there had been beekeepers for years; I was just trying to get started.

Back to the subject of this post... Little Red Truck Farm's honey CSA. Besides getting to share in the honey at the end of the summer, there are also opportunities to learn about beekeeping and honey production, which I think is great. That is definitely something I will be doing and I can't wait. There are still shares left, so if you're interested, you can email the microfarmer, Joan Teebagy (check her website for info). Besides bees, she also has chickens and grows vegetables, fruit, and flowers. Aside from the honey CSA, I think she just grows for neighbors, since there is no address listed. The honey CSA is something she is doing for the first time this year. I wish her luck!

No comments: