Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hardwick Sugar Shack, Hardwick MA

Hardwick Sugar Shack
572 Jackson Road, Hardwick MA 01037
413.477.0932

My first sugar shack of the season was at Hardwick Sugar Shack in Hardwick, MA. It's a family-run place with everyone helping out. The two kids--ages (and I'm guessing) eleven and sixteen--gave the tours. They were so good it made me embarrassed of my own public-speaking skills! In addition to a guided tour of the operation, and close-up look at the evaporator (boy did it smell good in there!), we got the low-down on the history of the tap. I was surprised to see how far it's come from a simple metal spout.

This sugar shack is also home of a horse and some wild turkeys, which you may be lucky enough to spot on your visit. They are hosting open houses on Sundays this month (11AM-4PM) and I would recommend a visit. If you do stop by, there are a few other great spots to visit in town--stay tuned for more posts this week.

I brought home a large jug of their delicious maple syrup and can't wait to drown some pancakes in it next weekend.



2 comments:

Megan McDonough said...

Hi Janice,

Thanks for visiting the farm this weekend! What great weather! My daughter was thrilled you thought she was 16 (she's 14), and your right, my son is 11. They have both grown so much doing these public education tours through the sugar house--builds great social skills like that dreaded public speaking thing:-)

Janice said...

Hi Megan-We had a great time visiting your sugar shack. The Alaskan birch syrup (I think that's what it was) that your son let me taste was really good! We'll be back next spring :)