Saturday, March 6, 2010

Verrill Farm, Concord MA

Verrill Farm
11 Wheeler Road, Concord MA 01742
978.369.4494

This year, I kicked off maple season with a pancake breakfast at Verrill Farm in Concord, MA. I was meeting friends I hadn't seen in a while and it was a great place for it. The breakfast was held in their large new greenhouse and it was a beautiful sunny day. So nice that they even opened the roof a bit to let in a gentle breeze.

This farm is a great place, open year-round, to pick up local vegetables, dairy products, and bakery items. They also had samples of delicious Massachusetts-made cinnamon chocolate. Of course, I forgot what it was called, but I'm going to have to pick some up the next time I'm there.

Another wonderful thing about Verrill Farm is that they hold festivals throughout the year. So far, I've been to the Asparagus Festival (which is coming up again soon) and the Corn and Tomato Festival and I'll be back again to both. Check their website or the localgrub calendar for upcoming festival dates. Additionally, they have a kitchen that cooks up delicious meals--both for the festivals and for every day eating. You can stop by to pick up some food to go, or order ahead. They also hold occasional cooking classes.

In the spring, they also take orders for tomato seedlings. I've been buying them for a couple of years and have been really happy with them. This year's deadline is April 2nd. Seedlings can be ordered at the farm or you can download the order form and fax/mail it with your payment. They have 29 varieties this year--a large number of them are heirloom tomatoes. If you don't get any seedlings, you can always go to the Corn and Tomato Festival and sample them all. Last year they had more corn and tomatoes than you could eat, plus a number of dishes prepared with their corn and tomatoes, plus real BBQ smoked outside. All that and a live bluegrass band--it was a late summer's day well-spent for me last year.

No comments: