Monday, September 14, 2009

Nashoba Valley Winery, Bolton MA

Nashoba Valley Winery
100 Wattaquadock Hill Road, Bolton MA 01740


This place is definitely worth a visit. It's an an absolutely beautiful orchard where you can pick your own apples, peaches, pears, and berries. They also are, as their name points out, a winery, and they specialize in fruit wines. They have a large selection, so you will be able to find something you like without a problem. My favorite right now is their port-style blackberry wine. I went apple, peach, and plum picking here last weekend on a gorgeous day and found that they now carry micro-brewed beer, although I couldn't tell if they were the brewers and I forgot to ask.

Here are the plums that I picked. They were yellow in the trees, but have ripened to a blushing purple on my counter and are waiting to be baked into a plum tart.


Also worth checking out is their restaurant. I took my mom there for their Mother's Day brunch, have been there for dinner, and would definitely go back. Recently, I discovered that they also have picnic lunches you can order on-line. Pick them up when you get there, along with a bottle of wine or a beer, and you're ready to dine at a table on their large wrap-around farmer's porch. Or, bring a blanket and pick your own spot. They don't mind if you bring your own food to eat. I saw a large number of people who had brought their own along with them.

Definitely worth the trip and it's the perfect time of year to go. Next Sunday, they have a barbecue and a live folk band scheduled. October 25th is beer, bluegrass, and barbecue. Could it get any better?

No comments: