Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tomato seedlings


Now is the time of year when I can really believe that spring is here. Never mind the summer-like weather we had last week--it's time to order tomato seedlings from Verrill Farm! The deadline to order is April 2nd, so I'm actually a week early this time.

I say this every year, but this year it will happen: my garden is going to kick ass! One the the few things I've always had great luck with are tomatoes; thanks in no small part to the great quality seedlings I get from Verrill Farm every year. The other things that I've had great luck with are snap peas and Swiss chard, so those will be reappearing again this year. Besides that, I'm not sure. I think I'm going to go pretty simple this year--besides tomatoes and snap peas, it'll be mostly greens and herbs.

The photo in this post is from spring of 2010. I was digging around in the garden to get it ready and found a crop of rainbow carrots from summer 2009. They weren't quite ready in the fall, but over-wintered well and ended up being pretty tasty! (I know, nothing to do with tomatoes, but this is the best photo I can find at the moment.)

Time to make a visit to the garden center for seeds. Maybe this year will be the year when I finally have an amazing garden. If not, if it's even slightly better than last year, that's an improvement and I'll take it, thank you very much.

No comments: